The following is al list of requirements to live at the Samuel W. Bell Home for Sightless;
1. The individual must be legally blind. Our definition of blind is: An individual whose central visual acuity does not exceed 20 / 200 in the better eye with correction lenses whose visual acuity is greater than 20 / 200 but is accompanied by a limitation in the fields of vision such that the widest diameter of the visual field subtends and angle no greater than 20 degrees. (Section 23 (Y)(2) of the Revenue act of 1944)
2. The individual must be an adult.
3. The individual must be mobile and able to function in an independent living environment, we have no medical personnel on staff.
4. The individual must complete a written application which must be signed by a physician attesting to General Health and a Certificate of Blindness signed by an eye doctor or licensed Optometrist.
5. The individual must be able to get along well with others. Our residents live under the same roof, they are expected to be polite and respectful to each other.